KAWRJ President’s Message

When I was young, there was a coffee house next door to our home called “The Hobbit”.  Many evenings there would be music groups that would come in and perform. One group called “Up, Up With People” came back a number of times and would often play “We Shall Overcome,’ the anthem of the Civil Rights Movement. Everyone would hold hands and join in singing.  As I look at events around us now, I find myself humming that tune and thinking about the ways we can join together and make some of the verses in that song become reality.

You may not realize it, but through memberships to KAWRJ, you help support WRJ and the work they do. “From advancing women’s leadership and equality in Jewish life and in society at large to championing numerous critical social justice issues, WRJ has been at the forefront of major efforts in the work of tikkun olam, repairing the world,” as their website (wrj.org) details. It is through organizing, preaching, teaching and lifting up voices that we and future generations can be effective leaders and advocates for the values we share.  Your support of our URJ Camp Fund supports experiences that help build these leaders and make sure that we shape communities where learning and acting upon issues is valued.  Thank you to all of you who contributed already.

But even more than the funds you donate, your willingness to offer your time making food for W.H.O. (Winter Hospitality Overflow- a program that helps the homeless with shelter and food during the winter), your hands picking vegetables and repacking food for the food bank, your arms lifting drywall to construct homes, your phone calls and letters to our representatives, your willingness to make a meal for someone in need, your commitment to having a Jewish presence here in Vancouver by donating and showing up to services and events, and all the countless other ways you reach out to mend our world really do make a difference.

During these times where race, gender, socioeconomic status, political issues and a whole host of other situations seem to be dividing us, I pray that we will find a way to move beyond and come together to make real changes.  Through our commitment, we shall overcome.

(Should I include something like this? There will be a blurb about this in addition to my message.) Please join us as we try to do our part.  On January 14, at 10:00, we’ll make meals to take to the shelter.

For more than 100 years, inspired by Jewish traditions and values, WRJ has pioneered social action in the Reform Movement and the Jewish community. From advancing women’s leadership and equality in Jewish life and in society at large to championing numerous critical social justice issues, WRJ has been at the forefront of major efforts in the work of tikkun olam, repairing the world. Right now, YES Fund grants provide Reform Jewish institutions and individuals worldwide with the tools necessary for religious, social, and educational growth and enhance Jewish life by supporting clergy, cultivating women’s leadership, advocating for social justice, providing programming, and offering support.

For more than 100 years, inspired by Jewish traditions and values, WRJ has pioneered social action in the Reform Movement and the Jewish community. From advancing women’s leadership and equality in Jewish life and in society at large to championing numerous critical social justice issues, WRJ has been at the forefront of major efforts in the work of tikkun olam, repairing the world.

WRJ has led the Movement in support of racial equality, LGBTQ equality, the rights of people with disabilities, public education, immigration reform, gun violence prevention, employment rights, and criminal justice.

As Reform Jewish women, WRJ takes pride in advocating for the most vulnerable. Jewish tradition compels us to work to end hunger, homelessness, and poverty, and to encourage short and long-term solutions to economic injustice.

As Jewish women, we heed our tradition’s teachings to cherish the earth. WRJ is committed to safeguarding our natural resources, supporting research to repair damage from the past and finding solutions for a sustainable future.

Throughout our hundred years, WRJ has worked in conjunction with a variety of faith groups to promote mutual respect for our different traditions and to strengthen our work by joining together to accomplish shared goals.

WRJ is committed to supporting international peace efforts, human rights, and global health and development initiatives along with supporting the State of Israel, working to advance religious pluralism and the peace process.

As a community of Jewish women, WRJ is committed to strengthening Jewish practice and family life, and to ensure that our Reform Movement continues to thrive from generations and generations to come.

With all that is happening in our world, may we take a moment to look at that spark that lights up our lives and count our blessings.  May we feel grateful that we have our faith, as well as our CKA family to help us through the hard times, to celebrate the good and to make this world a little brighter.

Thank you for your support of KAWRJ and our mission to provide opportunities for friendship, fun, service, spiritual growth and learning.

Carol Stoler, President, KAWRJ

Save the Dates!

• Jan. 14th- KAWRJ’s Mitzvah Day, 10-12
  • Jan. 28th- KAWRJ’s Winter Membership Meeting
  • Feb. 9th- KAWRJ leads Shabbat service, 7:30-9
  • Feb. 24th- Ladies’ Afternoon Out- Sweet Pea Tea Room